If your doctor is concerned that a disease or internal injury is occurring in your body, Whole Body Diffusion Scanning is an excellent way to visualize what’s going on. This special type of MRI is the most efficient and accurate way to detect many disease conditions early when treatment is most beneficial.
Many diseases have few to no early symptoms. Whole Body Diffusion Scanning is a completely non-invasive way to “see” into the body. When done with a powerful 3 Tesla (3T) magnet, it can outperform CT and PET/CT scans in picking up a variety of tumors, bone disease, cardiovascular disease and critical events such as stroke.
Whole Body Diffusion Scanning is safer than CT and PET/CT scans because there’s no radiation exposure. Early detection of abnormalities saves lives by guiding the best treatment decisions.
What Whole Body Diffusion Scanning Can Do
- Show abnormalities in anatomy (body structure and vital organs)
- Pick up many cancers that have spread to the lymph nodes or bones
- Identify bone disease and bone marrow problems
- Reveal tumors in key organs where early detection is essential (liver, ovaries, pancreas, kidney, prostate, brain, esophagus)
- Detect problems in the gallbladder and bile ducts
- Visualize issues in the neck and compression fractures of the spine
- Screen for aneurysm (blood vessel bulge) in the brain or abdomen before it ruptures
- Monitor the effectiveness of treatment aimed at the above conditions
What WB-MRI cannot do
All medical scans have limitations. WB-MRI may not be optimal to screen for:
- Early diagnosis of colon cancer
- Evaluation of the lungs for cancer
(Please note that not every condition will benefit from early detection.)
Note: Whole Body MRI is a supplement to other medical information, and does not replace the advice and consultation of a physician, who may want to conduct other tests. A patient’s personal health history, family medical history and factors such as age, lifestyle, ethnicity etc. will influence a doctor’s directives and treatment outcomes.